Saturday, December 30, 2006

RAYOSX

I´m in Antigua, former capital of Guatamala, home of colonial ruins and some mighty nice marimba playing, in this instance, by some sort of military band, such nimble trigger fingers. I caught a little yesterday at a presentation celebrating 10 years of peace, in agreement form, I think it was something to do with indigenous rights as there were a number of well spoken young mayan women on stage throughout. It was swiftly followed by perhaps an odd display of disney characters parading about, featuring none other than that baby dinosaur from the show to rival the cosbys, the ins and outs of the every dinosaur. If I could remember the name, or upload the video, then you´d know what I was on about.


For fear of mentioning it again, there is so much ´hotel california´here. It´s incredible. Every time a bus starts, a hospedaje is checked into, a car with a speaker strapped onto it´s roof drives by... i guess it does have a bit of a latin swing to it.

Today, I climbed a volcano. Though, the more impressive feat was getting up at 5:00 for the bus. phew! I was amazed by how many people commented on how hot it was as we stood on its crust. Pacaya. The most active of the three (of 33) volcanos in Guatamala. I actually saw it spitting lava into the air! I thought my bag might catch fire as I put it down to take a photo. This one isn´t actually of Pacaya, but of Volcan Fuego. Antigua rests, somewhat anxiously, below. The road to Antigua is also rather anxiety inducing... volcanos being rather steep and all, coupled with the roads being rather pot-holey and the drivers rather irratic. I counted three emergency ramps as I crossed over from Guatamala City, which I didn´t find to be at all threatening, I say, taking my bribe.



Right, back to Nicaragua, where, if you recall, I was trapped for during the christmas period. Before we went to Estelí, we stayed a night at a farm atop one of its lush surrounding hills. We walked to some incredible look out points, where they tell me I saw Honduras. Perhaps more visually unusual, however, were the stone carvings that followed. A hermit, who has only recently become hospitable to turistas has spent his life carving creatures and, as you can clearly see, helicopters, into the cliff faces that support his forest home.



Finally, I hope this name isn´t taken. I think it´s my new electronic project.



No comments: