Monday, December 25, 2006

Estalí

Hola! I´m in a near border town, waiting for a bus to Guatamala, we´ve decided to bypass Honduras altogether, at least for the meantime. The bus leaves on the 27th, so i may be here a while...
I just found out that James Brown is now officially dead. I wonder if he´ll be bursting from his coffin with a sweaty towel or perhaps american flag? I´m sure the street vendors here will have something to suit, probably a disney rip off.
The tree falling in the woods type meditation we´ve been on at the moment is the systems upon systems of people involved in such operations. where do the money changers get their bursting wads of cash? what do the kids spend the cordoba on? where are people getting obviously imported fruit from, grapes just don´t grow around here...? I heard about a scam the other day with people posing as the tourist protection agency, and some frightfully misguided fellows bought into it. Dear me. We´ve been charged for having our luggage atop the bus a number of times, but often the baggage people surf the top of the bus from one stop to the next, so a dollar or so isn´t much to pay for such a vivid image. I´m sure sachii would think so.
We headed to midnight mass at the easy on the oldies time of 8pm last night for an hour or so of gorgeous gregorian chants and neural excitation of the four part harmony kind. There was also some great feedback, I´ve got the harmonics of the place sussed. Not only was it all in Spanish, it was also my first non-funeral Catholic service, so don´t quiz me on the specifics , but we were told to go in peace, and something about science and hands. possibly God´s hands.
More Spanish schools to come and many many more questions as we travel north towards the ancient mayan sites of Guatelmala and Mexico, and possibly Honduras, out the bus window.

No comments: